Nicholas Wheeler, Oregon State University; David Harry, Oregon State University; Heather L. Merk, The Ohio State University
This module reviews fundamental genetic properties and definitions as they pertain to virtually all living things. The goal of this module is to provide a quick refresher in genetics to bring focus to the basis of heredity and marker informed breeding.
Module 2 – Genes, Genomes, and Mendel
See other Conifer Genomics Modules
You can also watch the video on YouTube.
- Gardner, E. J., M. J. Simmons, and D. P. Snustal. 1991. Principles of Genetics. 8th Ed. John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ.
- Gibson, G., and S. V. Muse. 2004. A primer of genome science. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- Lewin, B. 2000. Genes VII. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Strickberger, M. W. 1976. Genetics 2nd edition. Macmillan Publishing, New York.
- White, T. L, W. T. Adams, and D. B. Neale. 2007. Forest genetics. CAB International, Wallingford, United Kingdom. (Available online at: http://bookshop.cabi.org/?page=2633&pid=2043&site=191) (verified 26 May 2011).
- The quest for genes [Online]. Microbial Genomics Workshop, DOE Joint Genome Institute, U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science. The Regents of the University of California. Available at: www.jgi.doe.gov/education/microbialworkshop/The_Quest_for_Genes.ppt (verified 31 May 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors. 2010. File: Plant cell structure. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Available at: http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Plant_cell_structure.png&oldid=45093602 (verified 31 May 2011).
Cite This Learning Module
- Wheeler, N., and D. Harry. Genes, genomes, and Mendel [Online Learning Module]. Genomics in Tree Breeding and Forest Ecosystem Management, Conifer Translational Genomics Network. eXtension Foundation. Available at: https://plant-breeding-genomics.extension.org/genes-genomes-and-mendel-conifer-genomics-module-2/ (verified April 22, 2013).
- Nicholas Wheeler and David Harry developed the learning module content.
- Heather Merk developed the webpage.
Support for the Conifer Translational Genomics Network project and the development of the teaching modules hosted here was provided by the USDA/NRI CSREES Plant Genomics Coordinated Agricultural Project (CAP) Award # 2007-55300-18603, the USDA/NIFA AFRI Applied Plant Genomics CAP Award #2009-85606-05680 and the USDA Forest Service. Development of this page was supported in part by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Solanaceae Coordinated Agricultural Project, agreement 2009-85606-05673, administered by Michigan State University. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the United States Department of Agriculture.
Genes and Genomes.pdf (1.64 MB)