Majid R. Foolad, The Pennsylvania State University
The tomato genetics and breeding research program at Penn State, led by Dr. Majid Foolad, aims to:
- Identify genetic sources for desirable traits
- Discern genetic basis of traits of interest
- Develop genetic markers and maps
- Identify genes or quantitative trait loci (QTLs) for traits of interest
- Develop tomato breeding lines and cultivars using a combination of traditional and marker-assisted breeding
The slideshow below elaborates on these goals.
Development of this lesson was supported in part by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Solanaceae Coordinated Agricultural Project, agreement 2009-85606-05673, administered by Michigan State University. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the United States Department of Agriculture.