Heather L. Merk, The Ohio State University
The Sol Genomics Network, also referred to as “SGN”, is home to numerous databases with a wealth of Solanaceae related information including molecular markers, genetic and physical maps, metabolic pathways, genes, and entire genomes. Although SGN was developed with researchers in mind, there are tools specifically designed for plant breeders. These tools can be found in the “Breeders Toolbox” (Fig. 1). This tutorial focuses on the marker search tool (“Markers”).
Figure 1. Screenshot of the Sol Genomics Network (SGN) breeders toolbox home page. Screenshot credit: Heather Merk, The Ohio State University.
After completing this tutorial you should be able to:
- Locate the breeders toolbox on the Sol Genomics Network (SGN)
- Locate the marker search tool in the breeders toolbox
- Search for markers by name using the marker search tool
- Search for markers by criteria other than marker name, such as the species a marker has been mapped
YouTube version of the Tutorial
- The Sol Genomics Network [Online]. Available at: solgenomics.net/ (verified 12 May 2012).
Development of this page was supported in part by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Solanaceae Coordinated Agricultural Project, agreement 2009-85606-05673, administered by Michigan State University. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the United States Department of Agriculture.
Marker Search Tool Tutorial058152011.pdf (1.05 MB)